Assuming you just booked your flight to Tunisia and secured your spot in a tour. You’ve got Carthage, Tunis, and El Jem on your mind but before you take off, you have to figure out what you’re actually going to bring on this trip. Well, anyone can face this exact problem before leaving home and this article is here to answer all your questions!
Looking for a Flight to Tunisia? Check out our Flights to Tunisia page to get a really good flight deal!
Tunisia Packing List: A Few Tips
With any classic trip to Tunisia, there are a couple of things that make it challenging:
- Tunisia’s climate is Mediterranean, characterized by mild, rainy winters and hot, dry summers.
- It is hot – It gets hot in the summer in Tunisia. We’re talking about the middle of the day hitting close to 40C/104F temperatures with no cover.
- Conservative wear – Tunisia is a very secular, but being mindful of Muslim culture would help. For instance, being more covered up might be something you want to do, especially in more remote places.
What Kind of Traveler Are You?
It is worth noting that every person travels differently and packs in a certain way. For instance, a guy’s set up would be totally or slightly different than what a woman packs.
This Tunisia packing list is meant more as a starting point if you are looking for ideas of what to bring and also to be reminded of things you might not have thought of.
How Many Days Will You Be Gone For?
The duration of your trip shouldn’t matter that much but it does in terms of counting how many sets of things you need to pack or how aggressively you need to hand wash your underwear and clothes.
Without further ado, let’s jump into what to pack for a trip to Tunisia.
The Tunisia Packing List
- Swiss Card – With knife and scissors removed, just a few items here that you keep in your kit in case.
- Nail clippers – You’ll definitely need these especially with how dry it gets in Tunisia.
- After Bite – In-case especially for those that are easily bitten.
- Sun Bum 50SPF sunscreen – There’ll be LOTS of sun.
- Hand-sanitizer – Always handy to have especially at restaurants and spontaneous snacking.
- An iPhone or Samsung
- Sunscreen – This is a must especially if you are vising Tunisia in the summer. You will be constantly applying and re-applying especially on those intense days in the South of the country
- Sunglasses – Goes with the sunscreen above
- Hand sanitizer – You’ll get super hungry on those long days in Cairo and Luxor so this is good to have when you want to snack in the car or while on the go.
- Hats – A must-have. The sun can get so intense in Tunisia especially in warmer months
- Sandals/flip-flops – Well, you need them!
- European plug adapters – Tunisia’s electrical system is different from the one in the US as it adopts the European system. A small adapter is needed to allow American-style plugs (two flat prongs) to fit into European-style outlets (which take two round prongs). Make sure to get one at least!
- Chapstick – This will fight the dryness almost immediately when arriving in Tunisia in warmer months
- Moisturizer – Whether it’s hand, face, or body moisturizer, you’ll need it all
- More European plug adapters – Always useful to bring more adapters so you can easily charge more devices while the power is on.
- Toilet paper – More for the ladies or #2s but you’ll find that most public bathrooms will not have any toilet paper so it’s a good idea to have a roll or tissue paper packs with you
- SPF Chapstick – In retrospect, SPF protection on the lips would be helpful to have.
- More cash – Credit card payment is not widely accepted throughout Tunisia, so it’s always a good idea to carry enough cash.
- Snacks and granola bars – A good option if your schedule might get packed while in Tunisia
- A Hard Drive – You may want to bring an external hard drive where you store all of your photos and videos
- Portable Power Bank – While your Phone might have excellent battery life, this is a good back up incase of heavy usage
- Pen – For filling out custom forms
- Business card holder
What about the drones? Well, drones are completely not allowed in Tunisia. You will have to deal with plenty of administrations and to get a lot of papers done in order to get drone permit. So it is highly advised not to bring drones as they will get confiscated at the airport.
Clothes for Tunisia
What Do People Wear in Tunisia?
Fashion in Tunisia is pretty much the same as in any other parts of the world. There are a variety of Tunisian attire style preferences to reflect the tastes of different personalities.
The main difference between Tunisian fashion and the styles reflected in other countries is that clothing in Tunisia generally tends to cater to a more fitted, tailored appearance.
What Should You Wear in Tunisia?
The most important factors in planning what you should and shouldn’t wear when in Tunisia are the activities one will be doing on the trip and, of course, the weather.
It is highly recommended to check the weather forecast before your trip. Nothing will ruin your trip faster than being unprepared with the wrong clothing for the weather.
Once you have researched the Tunisia’s weather, you can focus on creating a capsule travel wardrobe, which should easily fit in a carryon suitcase with the help of packing cubes to compress your clothing.
Another top question that anyone may have is “is Tunisia safe?”. To answer that question, we published another article.
However, it is wise to consider traveling with travel insurance these days because you never know what might happen.
We typically made this travel insurance for Tunisia guide to help you through finding the cheapest rates for travel insurance. The most recommended coverage is through World Nomads where they offer coverage no matter where you are in the world and has very affordable basic travel insurance.
Read more about Tunisia
- 10 Cultural Aspects You Need to Know Before Traveling to Tunisia
- Tunisia Travel Information — Essential Tips You Must Know Before You Go
- Planning a Trip to Tunisia — All What You Need to Know
Have specific questions about your own Tunisia packing list as you prepare for your trip? Do not hesitate to drop a comment below and we will try to get back to you as soon as we can!