It’s beginning to look a lot like WINTER! November is here and it’s getting chilly in Tunisia. With cold weather, Tunisians look for warm comfort food in the kitchen.
This stew is a family favorite and packed with delicious and nutritious veggies. It is 100% plant-based which makes it an ideal meal if you are looking to improve your health. Cutting edge research is showing that having a whole food, plant-based diet is optimal for your health and well-being. It reduces your risk of developing chronic diseases and even cancer.
This stew is relatively easy to make, just chop everything and toss it in water and let it cook. The hardest part is washing the vegetables and chopping them up. It is a fool-proof recipe if you are exploring in the kitchen.
You can also use many other vegetables and legumes; whatever you have in your fridge and pantry. Some examples include kohlrabi, turnip, and spinach. In Tunisia, we usually pair this meal with grilled fish, grilled mergez, hard boiled egg, or Gadid. A perfectly balanced meal!
INGREDIENTS: (serves 4)
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1.5 liters of water (maybe more or less)
- 3 large leeks with green stems
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 tomato
- 1 potato
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup whole bulgar wheat
- 1 zucchini
- 1/4 cup lentils
- 1 bunch of collard greens
- 1/2 bunch of coriander
- 1/2 bunch of parsley
- 1 pepper (optional)
Tunisian Vegetable Stew RECIPE:
- Fill a pot with 1.5 L of water. Add 1 cup of chickpeas. Let them cook while you finish chopping the vegetables.
- Chop the leeks. Dice the tomatoes & carrots. Add these ingredients to the pot. Add the whole potato as well. Add the olive oil and spices then cover with a lid, and set on medium heat.
- Chop the parsley, coriander, and collard greens. Set aside in a large bowl. To that bowl, add the diced zucchini and the rinsed lentils and bulgar. Add all these once the carrots are semi cooked.
- Let everything cook for another 15-20 min or until the bulgar is cooked.
- Serve each bowl with a slice of the potato.
This Tunisian Vegetable Stew recipe is part of the #TasteTunisia initiative launched by Carthage Magazine. In search of Tunisian cuisine, through a series of articles/videos, Carthage Magazine offers a window to the Tunisian food, recipes and how they are prepared.
The Taste Tunisia initiative is supported by Carthage Magazine and led by international registered dietitians-nutritionists from Tunisia, making it the ultimate initiative that celebrates and promotes Tunisian cuisine.
- The Best Authentic Tunisian Rice Dish — “Rouz Jerbi”
- Tunisia’s National Dish: COUSCOUS
- Tunisia’s Seafood Pasta — A Tunisian Delicacy
- The Best Tunisian Grilled Salad — Salad Mechouia
- Octopus Barley Soup “Tchich” — Tunisia’s Favorite Ramadan Soup
- Tunisian Stuffed Peppers: “Felfel Mehchi”
- Assidat Zgougou — Tunisia’s Sweetness in a Bowl
- Tunisian Mloukhiya, Your Grandma’s Favorite Dish
- Date & Walnut Bread — The Perfect Healthy Dessert
- Tunisian-Style Stuffed Dates — Tunisia’s Healthiest Sweet Appetizer
- Delicious Tunisian-Style Lamb Borghol (Bulgur)
- Kafteji: a Healthy Version of your Favorite Tunisian Dish
- Tunisian Masfouf — Tunisia’s Most Famous Sweet Version of Couscous
- Tunisia’s Traditional Mini Doughnuts: Kaa’k Yoyo
- Omek Houria: Tunisian Mashed Carrot Salad
- Lablebi: One of Tunisia’s Most Popular Street Foods
- A Unique Pizza with a Taste of Tunisia: Harissa Infused Veggie Pizza
- Tunisia’s Octopus Salad: The Best Tunisian Seafood Salad
- Slata Tounsia – Tunisia’s Summer Salad
- Mom’s Orange Cake — Tunisia’s Winter Dessert
- The Famous “Khobz Ch3ir” — Tunisian Barley Bread
- The Traditional, Most Authentic Tunisian Pumpkin Shakshuka
- Tunisian Breakfast for Champions: “Zamit” with Pomegranate
- Tajine El Bey: Tunisia’s Finest Appetizer
- Tunisia’s Lentil Soup – Your Favorite Winter Warmer Dish
- All Tunisian food recipes.
And if you liked this article, sign up for the monthly features newsletter. A handpicked selection of stories from Carthage Magazine, delivered to your inbox.